Wednesday, January 4, 2017

How to Start Your Very First Brisk Walk and Determine to Keep Up

plus.google
It's not like sky diving or skiing or basketball which are optional. You can choose to do them or not. But brisk walking is different. We ALL should brisk walk to keep healthy and fit, especially when you're advancing in age.

You have to start brisk walking now.

And starting is easy. Simply go out and start walking. Do it in the clothes you now have on. It doesn't require a special uniform or getup to brisk walk. I do it with slippers on my feet and even while wearing maong jeans---although wearing something loose is better.

Do it 30 to 40 minutes a day or every other day.

I always consider it a fast leisurely walk. I'm not in a hurry but I maintain two steps per second, and sometimes I go a bit faster. I take long strides, but not too long. Most of all, I enjoy God, the scenery, the neighborhood and other brisk walkers and joggers I meet.

When I started my first jog when I was in grade 7 (at 4 am in the morning), I felt strange and foolish. Back then, jogging in the streets was out of this world. Joggers did it only at the Luneta Park. So, when my neighbors saw me jogging in our streets, they laughed.

Aside from that, there's always that eeriness when you are a newbie at something. "Am I really going to jog?" It was like my first time to shoot a basketball. "Am I really going to play basketball?" But don't let negativity like that bother you. Just think---"I have to do this. I have to be healthy."

So that's the first thing you need to do to start your first brisk walk. Convince yourself that it's not just an option or you'd just try it today. You have to do it starting today. And then enjoy it.

I love walking early mornings when sunlight just tickles your skin and everything is fresh, cool and gentle. I love watching around me how a day starts and how people go about it. Often, I watch how birds start their activities, and they always start by playing and singing. And then later they get down to work. I think we should learn from them.

Sometimes, I brisk walk with my wife in the late afternoons. She's a busy grade school teacher and I have to remind her of her need to brisk walk. I tell her to relax or nap for 20 minutes when she gets home from school and then we'd go out for a brisk walk. Sometimes, I teach her some arnis lessons. Well, this 2017, I think we'd do it more frequent, even with the kids.

It's so easy to start and maintain a brisk walk daily routine. The thing is, tell yourself always, you have to do it. You have no choice.

For more walking inspirations, just LIKE US on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!