Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Measuring Your Health Improvement

123RF
How do you know your brisk walk or jogging is improving your health? First, you need to regularly check with your medical doctor. He or she can do tests to see if your health is improving or what needs to be adjusted.

Second, observe yourself. Do you still easily get tired after a short workout? Do you easily run out of breath after a short brisk walk? Or do you have a normal heart rate, normal breathing and still packed with energy after a prolonged period of workout compared before?

If you feel stronger after a long period of workouts or feel more able to do the same, then your health is improving. You'd also feel younger and easily move faster, too, without much effort.

When I recover from sickness (like now, I just had a bout of bad cough and cold) and re-start my workouts, I often feel easily exhausted initially. But after several days or weeks, I'd feel different---like I was 10 years younger. The thing here is never to force yourself to do a lot at once. Have the patience and discipline to gradually workout, give your body enough time to adjust. This works more to make you healthier and stronger rather than pushing yourself beyond your limit all of a sudden.

When I start again from zero, I start with leisurely walks. This is also true during times I slept late the night before and didn't have enough sleep. I just wander around early morning and enjoy the neighborhood. I also do light jogging-in-place and some shadow boxing. Then probably 10 push-ups and bend the spring bar twice or thrice.

Then I gradually work up from there.

Another way I see myself improving health-wise is when I eat just right but have enormous energy for physical activities. This means my body systems are all thumbs up. My body absorbs a lot of nutrients from the good foods I eat. Also, when I feel good and am easily patient, kind and understanding, I know I'm in tiptop shape. Being moody often means something's wrong with your health---physical, mental, emotional or spiritual.

But these are just first aid measurements. I still see to it I consult my medical doctor, whether I feel good or not. And you should, too. Visit your doctor regularly.

Here's my e-book on how I keep healthy and fit doing simple workouts.

For more walking inspirations, just LIKE US on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!