Friday, September 2, 2016

Why You Should Have Jogging "Classmates"

pix-hd.com
You should have jogging or brisk walking "classmates." That's what I call them. They also brisk walk or jog regularly in the morning or afternoon around our place and, the first time around, I often met them in the streets---just plain met them.

Later I met them eye to eye and much later with a smile. Then one time I stopped to say "Hi!" and that strengthened the familiarity among us. And then I asked them their names. One guy was named, Benjie," the other was "Paul," the guy with the big dog was also named "Paul" and another who looked Chinese was "Rex."

And so on.

I would meet them on the road and say "Hi!" and talk to them for a while and then go on my way. You got to have classmates like that whose help you might need someday if you meet some trouble on the street. Who knows, you might trip or stumble and injure yourself and need a helping hand. That's where your "classmates" come in.

They sometimes walk together in a group, chatting happily as they brisk walk. That's exciting, but I prefer jogging alone. I've always been a loner. And anyway, I am more able to focus on my workout when doing it alone. But I do socialize with them. In fact, I can easily make them laugh. But I try not to be too close to them. I want to focus on my run.

Another reason is, group jogs or runs entice you to compete against each other. You try to jog faster than the rest. Sometimes I want to keep up a gradual pace, hopping high and wide, especially uphill. This way I get the most of my jog. Others might find me too slow.

Or, it may be the other way around. I might suddenly break into a sprint and leave them behind and think I'm showing off.

Nonetheless, it's important to befriend other joggers---young and old. It's more fun and challenging to belong to a community than to be lone ranger all the way. I find great delight just smiling at new joggers and brisk walkers in the area, saying hello or good morning. It's great laughing with veteran joggers.

There was this man in his wheel chair who looked depressed while watching joggers pass by. When I passed him by, I smiled and said, "Good morning" enthusiastically. He was elated and smiled and returned my greeting jovially, looking like he was energized a bit. You can do that service while running outdoors.

That's why it's great to have jogging classmates.

For more walking inspirations, just LIKE US on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!